Learning to Fly

Well, the title’s not entirely true.  I already knew how to fly in this game.  But what I did learn was how to fly faster and multiple times.  In particular, these two videos were very helpful:

My only wish for this was that he would show what the jitters look like.  As it is, this is something that I’ll have to learn as I go.  Nonetheless, it provides me with a way of ensuring that I am moving as fast as possible.

This video was unbelievably helpful.  Through watching this, I was able to get the basics of multiple spin flights, and cut out an entire level from my run.  Needless to say, my time dropped, but only after a lot of time spent practicing.  If you want some idea of what a small part of that is like, here’s a shorter video of me:

Keep in mind that this is relatively short for practice.  I only took some of the footage.  Generally I’m practicing the same thing over and over for an hour or so.  At least until I can get 10 perfect attempts in a row.

So, the run itself.  While the new tricks I’ve learned have helped lower the time, the run itself was pretty bad.  But, this does bode well for the future, as even with all the mistakes, my time still dropped to 50:25.

Next week: the Top 150!

Goal #1 Achieved!

Well, the first goal I set for myself has been met; with a run time of 58:35, I’m finally under an hour.  You can see the full run here:

Aside from that, this week has been a lot of practicing, as well as watching videos of some of the faster runs.  You can watch them here, here, and here.  Unfortunately these videos are not as helpful as I would have hoped.  While they are certainly fast, they don’t necessarily explain what you need to do.  In this case, I just have to work to replicate what they do, which isn’t always easy.  I often find that I come up with an idea for how to replicate something in the middle of the night, which I then have to write down so that I remember.

From here, I’ll be trying to drop my time as much as possible. My next goal will be to break into the top 150 runs.  That means getting a time of under 49:11 as of writing this.

A Long Road Ahead

Today was attempt #2 for my Super Mario World speedrun.  The first thing that is immediately noticeable is the improved setup for recording.  I’ve managed to figure out a lot more about OBS, and I’ve found a wonderful timer that is usually used for speedruns.  I’ll have to look into setting it up to have splits in the future.  Finally, I’ve acquired a microphone that isn’t garbage, so you can actually hear me.

The other thing that you may notice is that I was actually slower this time.  This is due to a couple of things.  For one, it just wasn’t my best day.  More telling, however, is that there were a number of mistakes due to trying new things.  As this is a fairly well-known speedrunning game, there is a lot of information available online.  Over the past week, I have picked up a number of tricks to make the run faster.  In this run, I screwed up a couple of times with those.

As it stands, my time for this run sits at 1:05:11.

The Start of the Race

Initially, I had planned on learning something involving logic, or some other academic topic.  Then I realized that I could choose something more relaxing: speedrunning a game, specifically Super Mario World.  I used to play this game a lot in the past (it’s a wonderful distraction when writing a masters thesis) and got decently good at it.  However, it has been several years since I last picked it up, and I have forgotten a lot of what I used to know.

So, I’m going to learn to play better than I ever have before.  The plan is to compete in the “No Starworld” category, as I find that way of playing more interesting than “11 Exit” or “0 Exit” (as well as the fact that I don’t feel like measuring my time in the milliseconds).  My first goal will be to drop my time under an hour.  If I manage to do that, I can keep working to lower it further.

This is the sad state that I’m starting in:

It’s a long road from here, but the time ended up being better than expected.  Starting time: 1:01:35.